When it comes to onling gaming, remember: safety first. The Merchant Risk Council's Gamer Safety Alliance (GSA) created Gamer Safety Week to raise awareness for your account safety and security. This year, they've shared a list of best practices, and they're good to keep in mind:
- Add security proofs (phone number, secondary email, etc.) to all online accounts
- Download or purchase the latest security updates for your devices
- Install and update virus, spyware and malware protection software on your devices
- Utilize browser phising filters
- Create strong passwords
- Do not share usernames and passwords with anyone
As our own lead fraud manager at EA, Nelson Ho puts it, "Gamer Safety Week is an opportunity for everyone to think about what safety means to them in their digital world. The Gamer Safety Alliance encourages companies and individuals alike to assess whether they are doing everything possible for a safe online experience."
Keep these safety measures in mind this week as you play, and remember to keep your security up to date as your first line of defense.