On November 17, we brought The Sims 4 to couches everywhere, with the launch of The Sims™ 4 on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. To celebrate, we're kicking off a caption contest where you can showcase your creativity and humor for a chance to win one of two Xbox One controllers.
We're giving away two white Xbox One controllers for a couple of lucky Sims community members! And if that wasn't enough, we took it one step further by customizing them with some AWESOME Plumbobs! (Because EVERYTHING is better with Plumbobs).
So... do you want to enter the caption contest for your chance to win one of these stylish prizes? Read on for the rules!
Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Twitch, Like us on Facebook, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
The Sims 4 Caption Contest
This contest is sponsored by Electronic Arts Inc. (“EA” or “Sponsor”), 209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065, United States.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
- Eligibility: The Sims 4 Caption Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada (excluding Quebec), Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States (including the District of Colombia) who are at least as old as the minimum age of majority in the jurisdiction from which they enter the Contest. Those who are employees of Electronic Arts Inc. or its affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies (“Sponsor and its agents”) or who are immediate family members or persons living in the same household of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. By participating in the Contest, the participant signifies his or her full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules.
- Timing: The Contest begins on January 31, 2018 at 10:00AM Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) and ends on February 7, 2018 at 10:00AM PST (the “Contest Period”) and consists of the phases set forth in the chart below:
||Start Date and Time
||End Date and Time
||January 31, 2018 at 10:00AM PST
||February 7, 2018 at 10:00AM PST
||February 8, 2018 at 10:00AM PST
||February 17, 2018 at 10:00AM PST
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ENTRANTS: ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE APPLICABLE CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD TIMES IN THEIR RESPECTIVE TIME ZONES.
- How to Enter: You will need a Twitter account to enter the Contest. If you do not already have one you can visit www.twitter.com to create one for free. During the Submission phase, visit www.twitter.com/thesims (the “Contest Site” or “Site”), and submit a Tweet with a caption to the #TheSims4CaptionContest screenshot. The Tweet must include #TheSims4CaptionContest and #XboxOne hashtags at the beginning of the caption (collectively, the “Entry”). #TheSims4CaptionContest must appear first. By submitting your Entry, you agree that it conforms to the Entry Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion that your Entry fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
Guidelines and Restrictions:
- Content Requirements
- Entries must (i) incorporate only the Sponsor-provided hashtags and reference to The Sims 4 in-game content as instructed herein and/or on the “Site”. Entries must pertain to The Sims 4, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. No group, or team efforts, or multi-author(ed) designs will be accepted in this Contest. For purposes of this Contest all Entries will be presumed authored by the person submitting the Entry. Entry. Entries submitted in this Contest must not contain any pornography, or other illicit, illegal, defamatory, morally offensive or obscene content, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any Entry containing racial, religious, or ethnic slurs, explicit language, obscene, pornographic, violent, or sexual content, or libel, hate speech, references to alcohol, drugs or other illicit substances, or otherwise objectionable, offensive, illegal, inappropriate or prohibited material. Submission of previously published art (other than the Sponsor-provided images) is prohibited. Any Entry that incorporates prohibited content, including but not limited to, third party creations (other than the Sponsor-provided images), trademarks, names, or other third party property(ies), or the work of creative consultants, or the entrant’s likeness, or the likenesses of any other real-life individuals, or any content that is pornographic, illicit, or otherwise in Sponsor's sole and absolute discretion violates the above Guidelines and/or is not in compliance with these Official Rules, may not be accepted for entry and may not be eligible to win any prize in this Contest.
- By entering, entrants warrant that their Entries contain only Sponsor-provided Contest Assets, if any, and/or their own, Original Creations. Entrants further warrant their Entries do not contain any third party copyrighted materials, and otherwise do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party.
- Each entrant may enter the Contest one (1) time during the Contest Period. Entries received from any person or email address in excess of the stated limit will be void. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void.
- Uploading an Entry constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Entry. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries, all of which will be void. Physical copies of Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
- By providing any Contest Assets for entrants’ use Sponsor is granting entrants a limited, non-exclusive, non-commercial license to use the Contest Assets solely in connection with, and as a part of, the Contest. Entrants shall otherwise have no right, title or interest in or to any Contest Assets except as otherwise granted by Sponsor, and any use of the Contest Assets (including use of the Entry that contains Contest Assets) other than as permitted by these Official Rules may constitute copyright and/or trademark infringement.
- In the event of a dispute regarding any Entry, the authorized account holder of the Twitter handle used to register will be deemed to be the entrant or participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person owning the Twitter handle. Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
- Personal Information: Nothing in these Official Rules shall be deemed to exclude or restrict any of the winner’s or the entrant’s statutory rights as a consumer.
(a) Organizing, running and monitoring the Contest and prize fulfillment, including, if entrant wins a prize, publishing (i) their name on the Winner(s) List and (ii) their name and country of residence online or in any other media in connection with the Contest, as described further in Section 7 below); and
(b) Any additional processing activities to which entrant consents.
EA participates in the U.S.-Swiss Privacy Shield Framework for the collection, use, and retention of data from Switzerland. While EA relies on various mechanisms to effectuate cross-border transfers, we continue to adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome.
For Residents of Austria, Germany, Poland, Switzerland: This personal information is collected and processed only for the purposes of (a) organising, running and monitoring the campaign or (b) of sending additional information provided an entrant selects to receive additional information from Sponsor or its affiliates on the entry form. Entrants acknowledges that personal information will not be stored or processed located in the European Union. The Sponsor shall be considered the data controller for the database containing this personal information and provides for an appropriate data protection level by respecting the Safe-Harbour-Principles. Entrants have the right to access, withdraw, and correct their personal data. Entrants may request such action by sending a message with the request, subject line The Sims 4 Caption Contest to email@example.com.
For Residents of France: Personal information provided to the Sponsor in the course of this Contest shall be processed according to the Legislation “Informatique et Libertés n°78-17” of January 6th, 1978.
For Residents of Spain: The United States privacy laws apply to the collection, processing and transfer of personal information that may be required by this Contest. Yet, for the aspects of those activities that may fall under specific Spanish privacy law (including the Ley Orgánica 15/1999 de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal of December 13th, 1999), it is agreed that Electronic Arts Software S.L., Calle Via de los poblados, 3 edificio 3, 28033 Madrid, SPAIN (the ‘Data Processor”) may also collect and/or process the participants’ personal information for purposes of administration of the Contest and prize fulfillment, in the terms set forth above. The collection and processing of personal information may be performed in areas such as the United States, which laws may not ensure the level of data protection applicable in the European Union. The personal information may be transferred to the Sponsor and its subsidiaries (in Spain and other territories such as the United States, which laws may not ensure the level of data protection applicable in the European Union) for purposes of supporting the Sponsor with the administration of the Contest. Personal Information may also be publicly distributed in all media, including, but not limited to, the Internet, in order for the Contest to be properly performed (this is applicable to territories such as the United States which laws may not ensure the level of data protection applicable in the European Union). Any right related to privacy law that may be available to participants (including, but not limited to, right to access, correct, withdraw and object) should be brought before the Sponsor at the abovementioned direction.
- Winner Determination: Winners will be determined according to the process set forth below.
- Judging Phase: During the Judging Phase, a panel of qualified judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select two (2) entrants with the highest-scoring Entries (the “Top Entry” or “Top Entries”) based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”): 33% Wit, 33% Humor, and 34% Originality.
- In the event of a tie, the entrant whose Entry received the highest score for Wit, as determined by the qualified judges, in their sole discretion, will be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than two (2) Top Entries if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entries.
- Notification: The potential winners will be notified by Twitter Direct Message on or about February 19, 2018. Except where prohibited, each potential winner will be required to sign and return a Winner Declaration & Consent, which must be received by Sponsor, 10 days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim his/her prize. If any potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and/or return the Winner Declaration & Consent within the required time period, refuses the prize, is ineligible to win the prize, or prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize. Receiving a prize is contingent upon compliance with these Official Rules; all prizes claimed in accordance with these Official Rules will be awarded. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified or the prize is forfeited for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner using the skill-based criteria set forth above from among all remaining eligible Entries. Only three (3) alternative winners will be selected, after which Sponsor retains the discretion to donate the applicable prize to a charity of Sponsor’s choosing.
- Prizes: Two (2) winners will each receive one (1) customized Xbox One controller, each with an approximate retail value of 150.00 USD or 126.85 EUR. Total prize pool value of 300.00 USD or 253.70 EUR. If for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. The odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received and relative skill of entrants. Allow 4 weeks for shipment of prize(s).
- General Terms:
- By participating in this Contest, each participant agrees:
(1) To the extent allowable under applicable law and, to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss, damage, right, claim or action of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any Contest-related activity or the receipt, possession, use or misuse of any prize won, except for residents of the United Kingdom and France with respect to claims resulting from death or personal injury arising from EA’s negligence and for residents of the United Kingdom with respect to claims resulting from the tort of deceit or any other liabilities that may not be excluded by law;
For Residents of Austria, Germany, Poland, Switzerland: By participating in this Contest, each participant acknowledges: (1) In regard to the Prize and any other products or services given by Sponsor and its affiliates free of charge, the Sponsor shall only be liable for intent and gross negligence. (2) In all other cases, the Sponsor shall only be liable to cases of intent and gross negligence. In case of slight negligence, however, the Sponsor is only liable for the breach of essential contractual obligations, such as delay or impossibility of performance, which the Sponsor can be made responsible for. The liability in the event of breach of such an essential contractual obligation is limited to the typical contractual damage, whose occurrence could be expected by the Sponsor upon conclusion of the contract on account of the circumstances known at that time. “Essential contractual obligations” as previously stated are those obligations whose fulfillment is essential to enable the proper implementation of the contract and the achievement of its purpose and whose observation you as an end consumer may rely upon. The foregoing limitations of liability shall not apply in the case of explicit guarantees by the Sponsor, in case of malice and injuries to life, body or health as well as in the case of mandatory statutory regulations.
(2) That EA’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest;
(3) That by accepting a prize, EA may use your name and place of residence online or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to the winner or anyone else, except where prohibited ; and
(4) The Contest is governed by the laws of the United States and all claims must be resolved in the United States.
For Residents of Austria, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, notwithstanding, nothing in these Official Rules shall have the effect to deprive you of the consumer protection rights granted to you by the laws of your residence that cannot be derogated from by agreement.
- EA reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winners from among all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or those of any other Contest or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated entries. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Winners are responsible for any applicable taxes on prizes.
- Winner(s) List: Winner List requests will only be accepted after the end the Promotion Period (listed above) and no later than three months from end date. If you send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before May 16, 2018 we will provide you with a list of confirmed winners.
© 2018 Electronic Arts Inc.